Four of Chicago’s oldest and largest public housing complexes known as ABLA (Addams, Brooks, Looms, Abbott) began in 1938 with Jane Addams Homes. Located on 100 acres in the City’s Near West Side, the ABLA site was originally comprised of more than 3,600 units in four contiguous developments: Jane Addams Homes, Grace Abbott Homes, Robert Brooks Homes and its later extension, and Loomis Courts. ABLA was one of the most physically distressed public housing developments in Chicago.
Telesis was responsible for planning the 3,000 unit, $650 million revitalization, including nearly $60 million of HOPE VI funds. Working alongside the ABLA Local Advisory Committee, the Habitat Company, and the Chicago Housing Authority, Telesis developed a comprehensive master plan that established the means by which the neighborhood could become a beautiful mixed-income community inclusive of public housing. Telesis also developed a plan for community and supportive services with residents and other partners.